A MI SALUD
Open to Latin American women. This program is beneficial for social interaction, health and language education and learning about Canadian culture.
North Hamilton Community Health Centre, 438 Hughson St N.
2nd and 4th Wednesday of the month from 5:30 to 7:30pm. Year-round.
Goals of Program:
- To enhance the physical, emotional and mental health of participants.
- To foster social networks and break isolation among participants.
- To facilitate the process of adjustments and integration of participants and their families into Canadian society.
- To enable immigrant women to perform the language tasks of everyday life, even before greater competence in English has been achieved.
Description of Program (activities, participants, etc.):
- The program is offered in Spanish and is facilitated by a professional from the Latin American community. The program is supported by the Multicultural Peer Support Worker and supervised by the Multicultural Health Manager.
- The participants identify their needs and interest and an agenda for the next six-months is developed (food, nutrition, and health issues).
- Health-related topics include: active living, dental hygiene, the health care system, introductions to community resources (i.e., libraries and recreation centres).
- Adult education techniques are used, including group discussions, cooking demonstrations, audio/visual, group outings and role playing.
- Snacks, childcare and bus tickets are provided.
For more information, please contact: Nora Melara-Lopez: 905-523-6611 ext. 2012