DIABETES EDUCATION - ENGLISH, SPANISH & PORTUGUESE
Open to people with diabetes and their partners/family who speak English, Spanish or Portuguese as their first language. This program is beneficial for diabetes education, including blood glucose monitoring, nutrition, physical activity, medication review, foot care and social interaction.
North Hamilton Community Health Centre (438 Hughson St. North)
English Group: Second Tuesday of each month (except July and August) from 1:30-3:30pm
Spanish Group: Third Thursday of the Month (except July, August and December) from 5:30-7:30pm
Portuguese Group: Last Tuesday of the month (except July, August and December) from 1:00-3:00pm
Goals of Program:
- To reduce barriers to Diabetes Education.
- To equip participants to monitor and manage their diabetes, thereby reducing long-term health complications and improving their sense of well-being.
Description of Program (activities, participants, etc.):
- Program is provided in English, Spanish and Portuguese.
- Program is available for people with newly diagnosed or long-time diabetes.
- Group education is provided by a healthcare professional such as a nurse, dietitian, social worker, chiropodist, pharmacist or kinesiologist.
- Follow-up individual appointments can be made with any health care professional to review specific goals. Cultural Interpretation is provided.
- Program format encourages social interaction and participant support for each other.
- Healthy snack is provided.
For more information, please contact:
Teresa Dupuis, RN, CDE (USA) Diabetes Program Coordinator
Cory Ma ( Registered Dietitian ) 905-523-6611 Ext.3047