Open to immigrant and refugee Latin American seniors (men and women). Program is beneficial for social interaction, health and language education and learning about Canadian culture.
Compass Community Health (438 Hughson St. North)
Once a month (participants are informed about upcoming meetings 2 weeks in advance)
Goals of the Program:
- To facilitate the process of adjustment and integration of Latin-American seniors into Canadian society
- To enhance the physical, emotional and mental health of Latin-American seniors
- To prevent physical, emotional, and financial abuse of Latin-American seniors
- To foster social networks and break isolation among Latin-American seniors
Description of Program (activities, participants, etc):
- The program is offered in Spanish and is facilitated by a professional from the Latin American community. The program is supported by the Multicultural Peer Support Worker and supervised by the Multicultural Health Manager.
- The participants identify their needs and interests and an agenda for the next six-months is developed (food, nutrition, and health issues).
- Health-related topics include: active living, dental hygiene, the health care system, introductions to community resources (e.g., libraries and recreation centres).
- Adult education techniques are used including group discussions, cooking demonstrations, audio visual, group outings and role playing.
- Snacks and bus tickets are provided.
For more information, please contact: Maria Valderrama: 905-523-6611 ext. 2017